April 22 , 2016 marks the 46th anniversary of earth day. It is celebrated each year and is made up of events across the world that show support for environmental protection. The day was started in 1970 by Wisconsin senator Gaylord Nelson; now the earth day network organizes events with more than 50,000 partners in 192 countries.The earth day network says over 1 billion people participate in annual activities, making it the largest civic observance in the world. You and your co-workers can join the movement and help reduce your ecological footprints with these 5 electrifying office tips:
1. Close the blinds on hot daysAnd open them on cold, sunny days. Doing this will keep the heat out when it’s hot in July and bring the heat in when it’s cool in January. This simple tip will help you decrease heating and cooling costs
2. Power down computer equipment at the end of the dayAvoid leaving office equipment powered on when it isn't in use. Consider making the transition from desktops to laptops as they use nearly 5 times less energy and allows you and your employees to work anywhere.
3. Reduce, re-use, recycleMake the pledge to not print on Fridays or seek paperless file solutions. Avoid paper cups and plastic cutlery, instead invest in items that can be washed and reused. If you must use bottles or cans, make sure to recycle them!
4. Plant something (at the office)The stereotypical earth day activity is to plant a tree or plant. However, if you work a full-time job, there may not be an opportunity for you to plant something on earth day. Want an alternative? Plant something in your office, instead.
5. Be the exampleEmbodying an environmental friendly mantra will assist in allowing your colleagues to identify how tangible and effortless an environmentally conscious lifestyle is.
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” —Jane Goodall